SC - Cuskynoles- was - Re: Kitchener

David Friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Aug 1 11:04:57 PDT 1998

>> Camps are divided along the lines
>>  that say a cusky is shaped like a multicelled Cadbury fruit-filled
>chocolate
>>  bar, and then there are those who maintain the dish is for a rectangular
>>  fruit-filled ravioli.
>
>Just shaped like one? Or containing chocolate? While either image is
>interesting... I'd like to read your documentation for chocolate being used in
>confection if it's the latter..
>
>::Diving for the rock::
>
>Corwyn

Not his--that is Adamantius's description of my interpretation.

Cuskynoles is, so far as I know, the only recipe in the corpus that comes
with an illustration--a 3x5 grid with dots in the middle of the squares. It
also comes with dimensions--"of the leynthe of a paume & an half & of treo
vyngres of brede. "

Adamantius prefers to ignore that information, interpret the recipe as for
fruit filled ravioli, and assume that for some unknown reason the author
chose to illustrate an array of 15 ravioli sitting on a table. I prefer to
believe that the illustration is actually intended to convey information
about the dish it is illustrating--since it says it is. Hence I interpret
it as a sandwich of rolled out dough/filling/dough, 6"x3", with the dough
pressed together along the lines of the figure. The figure shows a single
cuskynole, with with dots representing the high points of the pockets
between the pressed together lines--and the dimensions of the single
cuskynole correspond to the ones given in the recipe.

While I am confident that what Adamantius produces tastes good, I am also
confident that is is not consistent, save by extreme stretching, with the
recipe--figure included. My interpretation is consistent, although I do not
know if it is correct--and it tastes good too.

Now you see the risk to fanning what appeared to be dead coals.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/