SC -Making Butter in Period

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Aug 3 21:07:14 PDT 1998

hey all from Anne-Marie
we are asked:
>  A consideration... could we still use this techique with cream that is
> available
>  today? Most commercial cream is ultra-homoginized and this could make it
> difficult
>  to use this process.   I guess if unhomoginized cream or milk is
available,
> this
>  process could be used.
>  just a thought.

Butter making does not depend on the "separation" that homogenization
prohibits. You wont get cream to the top, but if you start with regular old
grocery store whipping cream, you can make some amazing butter. I do this
for my food and eating class I teach. Pass around the fruit jar (wqith a
tight lid) and by the end of the lecture, we have butter. I wash it and
salt it in a large bowl of ice water, and then we eat it with bread I
brough that contains funky old world flours (pea, chestnut, etc).

Folks were most amazed that the "buttermilk" we got off the butter was
nothing like the sour cultured stuff they buy in the store.

- --AM