SC - Kids and feasts

Balldrich BallBarian BoulderBain msca at c2i2.com
Tue Aug 4 12:34:30 PDT 1998

	Greetings Friend!
	I think of the SCA as a family affair.  I know that children in the Middle
Ages were mainly (for the nobility) to be seen and put into storage with
the staff.  I know they were often trooted out, displayed, and then
returned to the behind the scenes.  Today we do not have the resources to
afford all that staff.  I like to have my children near when we feast.  In
part ot defend all the other folks but also because I think it is a good
thing to teach our children how to behave at feast.  When the feast is out
of control long, children usually load up on what is at hand and then want
to go play.  This is not a bad thing its just what happens.
	We just held Kingdom A&S and it was a pot-luck feast.  It worked, except
as feast was being set up a couple of the kids discovered the buffet tables
before everyone else and hit the fruits and breads.  The children were fed
(in some cases again) with the rest of us and it was very nice.
	I think an area for the children to grab a nibble as they go by is a very
good idea.  I think separating them from the family atmosphere of this
organization is a bad idea.  I think seating by rank (aside from head
table) is a bad idea.  Too many newer folks think some of those with all
the alphabet soup are too stuck up to be sociable.  We need to continue to
push mixing in with everyone else as a normal approach to feast seating.
	Forgive the oration
	Balldrich . . . hiding under the table with the two boys and the bread and
fruit. . .