SC - Kids and feasts

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Tue Aug 4 19:15:59 PDT 1998

>I have seen children's feasts done in Ansteorra on occasion.  Usually hot dogs
>or hamburgers are served. The kids eat much earlier than the regular feast
>time.
>And, the kids usually like it.

  What usually happens here when the organisers want as little interruption
as possible from the young children, is a children feast (hotdogs,
hamburgers, sandwiches and the like is served earlier to the little ones
and then (when I'm not cooking) a few other children minded people and I
run a sort of a play-group thing where we play medieval childrens games and
other such things.  So far both parents and children love it since the
children enjoy what they are doing and it give the parents a chance to
dance and talk adult stuff without being hindered by the children that are
too young to do such stuff.  They playgroup is fairly organised though, we
have a kinder teacher, an infant teacher and a registered nurse on call for
the entire event if needed although most parents with Younger ones tend to
leave a little earlier than the rest.
It's also led to an increase in the number of children coming to events,
and showing an interest in medieval stuff.  As they get older we introduce
them to medieval food and dance and pretty soon they are strutting around
the dance floors with their parents and enjoying themselves as well as
being settled at the appropriate times (like court)  Most of the (carers)
work on a rotation thing, half-hour shifts here and there, so no-one misses
out on enjoying the feast.  It's a win-win situation for everyone involved.
Speaking along such lines, and I'm sorry to get off topic here. does anyone
know of interesting medieval childrens games that is fairly easy to learn
and understand?  We are running out of games to play (aside from "Pin the
glave on the autocrat' that is =>=>=>)

Just my 2c worth

- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

		Confidence is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat,
		and taking the tartare sauce with you.

		- Zig Zigler