SC - Kids and feasts

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Aug 5 08:08:58 PDT 1998

hi all from Anne-Marie
we are discussing the treatment of children at feasts.

wow! talk about anthropology! part of this might have to do with the
philosophy and traditions of the locals as well (and especially the person
running the show).

Here in Madrone (Seattle Washington) our big baronial banquet is so
popular, we stack 'em in like cordwood. There is no place for a seperate
table for the munchkins. The general rule is "if you take a seat, you pay
full price and you get a plate of food". ie, medium sized munchkins that
need their own chair will get one, but will pay full price. If they can sit
on moms lap and pick at her plate, then they dont need a ticket.

As for feeding said short people, I get a little bristly at the idea of
pushing them to the side and feeding them modenr food (and modern food that
I wouldnt want to eat myself!)  just cuz its easier. But that's me. There
are TONS of very period foods that kids would easily recognise, would be
tasty and could be incorporated into both menus (assuming you even watned
to do two seperate menus! Not me man!). Even the most food persnikety kid
(and grownup) can be fed on period food, with a little research and some
careful testing beforehand.

Ideas:
- --macaroni and cheese (ie pasta with cheese and maybe some parsley for
color)
- --ramequins of fleshe (a meatloaf type unit, not spiced. can be done as
meatloaf, or served on bread as....hamburgers!)
- --hedghogs/yrchons
- --many types of carrot dishes are food weenie friendly, as most of the
funges recipes out there
- --frumenty (plain barley) or rice
- --applesauce or pearsauce
- --plain roasted meats with food weenie sauces like mustard
- --for dessert, marchpanes (ie sugar cookie units with marzipan that they
can peel off if so inclined), or the aforementioned fruit tarts, or even
just fresh fruit

Again, maybe its just me, but kids can be a really neat part of the event.
I enjoy feeding them...they can be brutal critics, but when you get them to
try something new and they like it its the greatest feeling. I cant think
of a single example in this area where short people got relegated to their
own tables and got separate food. The concept is very foreign to us! Kids
are as much a part of the SCA as they were in the middle ages, at least
around here.

If I might make a suggestion, perhaps you can incorporate "food weenie
proof" recipes into your main banquet, so that there's something in every
course that's "safe". That way kids can sit with their folks, and eat
together. They may not want to eat everything that comes by, but who knows?
Maybe they'll try something new and find out they really like cretonnee of
new peas after all? The food will be better, you wont have to cook two
seperate meals, and everyone will get a chance to play together, regardless
of age.

let me know if you need any recipes to help...
- --AM