SC - Re: Only place to suffer foreign invasion??

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Wed Aug 12 18:52:20 PDT 1998

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:12:37 -0500 "Decker, Terry D."
<TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> writes:
>> Who was the Aggressor? I believe  in my masters classes that the
>South   Fired the first shot at Ft. Sumter. Which was United States
>territory  at  the time.  Yes I am Yankee and why are we talking about
this on an
>SCA cooks list to begin with? Unless there is a good recipe for sluich
>your  holding back or mmmmmmm HARDTACK.
>>

>> Thorbjorn MKA Michael Newton M.A.
>>
>This started as a joke, but since you ask the question, heaven help
>you.
>
>South Carolina seceded December 20, 1860.  In the Spring of 1861, U.S.
>troops occupied Fort Sumter, a previously abandoned military outpost
>in Charleston Harbor.  On April 12, 1861, the Confederacy initiated
>hostilities against the "foreign" troops who had seized a critical piece
of South
>Carolinian real estate.  So, was it an act of rebellion or an act of
>defense against an armed invader?  It all depends on your point of view.
>
>Bear

<SIGH> I really tried to delete all of the civil war posts before he saw
them, really I did!  The one thing all of you need to understand is that
Not only does Thorbjorn have his master' s in military history/American
Civil War, but it's one of his overwhelming passions as well (we're in
the SCA instead of the civil war re-enactors is because I wanted to do
things as well (besides cook for the boys and pose in hoop skirts) and
the local re-enactors are snobs of the first degree).

beatrix
(occasional war game miniatures widow)