SC - Did they really eat that?

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 13 16:44:40 PDT 1998

Micaylah wrote:

> Mary says...
> <snip>
> >Here in Sunny Florida, in several bagel & pizza "hotspots," the snowbirds
> >swear that the water makes the difference and inport the dough made in New
> >York for both bagels and pizza down here to be cooked up.  Having lived all
> >over, I can't
> >honestly say the difference in taste justifies the price they charge.
>
> Aren't snowbirds Canucks that live in Florida? And if they are, why would
> they want New York water?

Snowbirds are, as I understand it, New Yorkers (often Jewish, but not
exclusively) who fly South (to Florida) for the winter.

As for the mystery regarding New York water, I've been told (having grown up on
the stuff I never noticed anything special about it) that New York City has one
of the best water purification sources in North America. I know there have been
companies bottling and selling the stuff outside the city, and I know that when
they rate municipal water supplies each year, New York almost always wins.
Bearing in mind, of course, that New York City's water supply actually comes,
for the most part, from streams in the Adirondacks, I can accept this.

Come to think of it, NYC also had a bunch of rather famous breweries up until
Prohibition, and they used to pride the local water, too.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com