Whats in a name? was Re: SC - Vacation/Training 8/8-8/17

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 14 04:57:47 PDT 1998

Bonne wrote:

> OK, about 18 yrs ago, when mom was in the hospital after delivering our
> youngest sibling, she walked up to the nursery to look through the window at
> the other babies and saw that a little girl had been named "Placenta".
>
> Bonne

A perfectly good Latin noun, used for other things besides the amniotic stuff...but I
see your point. On the other hand, my sister used to have a student in one of her
classes, named Latrina.

And speaking of latrines, a friend of mine is a well-known research chemist (as
well-known as a chemist gets in our society, anyway, which means most other chemists
have heard of him), and he tells me he had, in a single class at Pratt Institute (and
many would suggest that was a good enough name right there) two students, one, a fine
young man named Urinal Myass, and the other a young lady named Ophelia Wong.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com