SC - Butter churn

Nick Sasso MCCALLA.PERIM52.Njs at mail2.allegro.net
Mon Aug 17 10:13:29 PDT 1998

For those interested in this thread, I found a stoneware churn this
weekend that was thrown in the N. GA mountains, somewhere around 1985
(the big 1985 gouged in the clay was a good hint).  It came complete
with a wooden plunger.

I am going to make my first run at butter churning in it on Sunday at
a project day.  I'll let you all know what the results are.  I plan to
use half and half to start with.....chill the churn.....unsalted
....... press it into molds when finished.

This same crock may work nicely as a fermenter for my garum
experiments later.  I'll need a slightly different lid assembly,
though.  And lots of cleanser when I'm done!

niccolo difrancesco