SC - Feast profits?

Rebecca E Tants retants at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 14:13:57 PDT 1998

Ras asked...
>Is it a usual practice to price a feast to make a profit?

Depends how you think about it.  I work with the autocrat.  We calculate
a break even attendence point that we are sure (short of a noreaster) we
will hit and then set our prices for on/off/out board appropriately.  I
then cook to those numbers.

For example, The Feast of the 7 Deadly Sins last year sat 124 at feast
and had probably another 30-40 off/out boards.  I cooked based bought
food based upon our figure of 100 people in attendence and then made it
feed up to 125.  Everything over those 100 on boards was "profit".

Some of that profit get's eaten by unexpected problems or expenses, but
most goes into the baronial funds and are used for regalia, loaner
gear/garb, kitchen supplies (I WANT CHAFING DISHES/WARMING TRAYS THIS
YEAR!) and other things that become the groups property and are used for
the good of the group and our ability to more correctly EDUCATE
interested parties.  No single person makes money off the event, and
therefore it doesn't violate the rules of a non-profit.  (Just like
selling girl scout cookies doesn't hurt the girl scouts.)

The reason this is important is that for every 3 7 deadlies that go off
without a hitch, there will be 1 that get's a noreaster, or a cook that
goes over budget, or an outdoor event that get's rained out but for
which we still have to pay the site fee.  Believe me, there aren't
groups with huge amounts of money sitting around.  While we try to make
at least a little profit on every event (and the example above did quite
nicely), there are plenty of times when we lose money.

So yes, I plan to make a profit - Or rather, I plan to break even on the
minimum number of reasonably expected people and cook for the maximum I
can stretch for without sacrificing quality, quantity or variety, and
the rest goes to either the baronial account or to cover this years
unexpected problem!

Caitlen Ruadh
(1999 Feast of the 7 Deadly Sins, Feb. 13, 1999! Everyone is invited!)