SC - Food Handlers Licence (was: HELP!!!!!!)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 15:31:58 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/24/98 3:13:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Barbara.Weiszbrod at SW.Boeing.com writes:

<< Maybe we should include safe handling classes at Arts & Science events.>>

Great idea! :-)

<< I am not looking to add to the beaurocracy of the SCA, honest.  Just
 prevent anyone from getting poisoned by well meaning novices.>>

I know you're not looking to add to the rules. But a casual comment made and
those that see a ghost around every corner tend to flock in droves. Having met
you, I feel you are a very caring and kind person.

What our shire does is to require that every officer have a deputy. Thus the
Kitchen Steward's deputy is in training for his/her own attempt at preparing a
feast. It also helps to have a shire Cook's Guild in place, for instance 'The
Guilde of Ste. Martha (yes, I know, another shameless plug. :-)).

The Guild assures a well trained kitchen staff readily available for
breakfast, lunch or feast  duty. When individual guild members are ready for
their 'solo' run, they are almost assured of having a trained staff waiting to
help. Sanitation methods and general safety considerations are taught right
along with basic, intermediate and and advanced cooking techniques, as well as
other skills that could be helpful to a period cook such as animal husbandry,
gardening, butchering, pharmeceutical skills (herbalism, dying), baking,
cheese-making, spice preparation and other skills usually done by other
craftsmen duriong the Middle Ages. Secondary skills training is dependent upon
the motivation of the person that is interested in them.

With regard to your suggestions, I thank-you. As Guildmaster, I am going to
introduce safety and sanitation criteria into the list of qualities assessed
when a guild member is being considered for elevation from apprentice to
journeyman. Although not period such a requirement will assure the Shire of
not only the best feasts in the Known World but also a safe feast. ;-)

<< Alys. >>

Ras