SC - Sinister Baron Sir Gunthar & his vigil collation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 26 07:41:48 PDT 1998

Erin Kenny wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
> <snip>
> > You might do a small mead, which is easier to do than root beer, and maybe a
> > barley-water orange juice drink for those disinclined to do alcohol for any
> > reason. The latter is non-fermented and can be done in a couple of hours or
> > less.
> <snip>
>
> Spoon tease!!!  Documentation and RECIPE pretty please.
>
> Claricia
>  grateful for the idea of a non-alcoholic drink that is neither water
> nor sekanjabin

Sorry about that; I figured someone would make that accusation...I simply don't
have a period recipe. I'll look for barley water recipes, which are more modern,
but I have little reason to assume the stuff was made much differently in period.
I recall the typical flavorings for barley water in period included licorice or
anise (Sorry, Phlip!)

I have seen references to barley water in, I believe, Platina's De Honesta
Voluptate, Andrew Boorde's Dietery of Helth, and the Tacuinum Sanitatis. Possibly
Le Menagier, I don't remember for sure. Perhaps later today I'll be able to post
a recipe.

Hey, Lady Aoife! You might know about this...isn't barley water flavored with
lemon syrup, or lemon and sugar, what is known in Edwardian (as in Edward VII;
I'm way ahead a' ya) references as Lemon Squash?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com