SC - cooking in primative conditions

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Aug 27 06:37:44 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie...
we are asked for help with a meal to be prepared under "primitive
conditions"...
check out the recipes from our Boon Day Meal we had a year or so ago here
in Madrone. The menu...
Tartes of Flesshe (meat pies, premade and served room temp)
frumenty (tasty barley, premade and reheated on site)
funges (stewed mushrooms and leeks, made on site)
cretonnee of new peas (a great pea soup, premade and reheated on site)
bread (bought off site)
wardons in syrop (pears in port wine and spices, made on site).

without exception, the cooking done on site was boil and serve, easily
doable on a coleman or a fire. I know I've posted these recipes to the list
before, so check the archives.

There's TONS of medieval "boil and serve" recipes out there...some ideas...
- --macaroni and cheese
- --raviolie
- --bunches of sauces. roast the meat a head of time, throw it on the grill
briefly to warm and serve with the sauce.
- --most stews
- --spynoches
 and that's just off the top of my head! :)

good luck,
- --AM

- ----------
> From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
> To: SCA-Cooks maillist <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
> Subject: SC - cooking in primative conditions
> Date: Wednesday, August 26, 1998 11:37 PM
>
> I am trying to come up with a period feast that can be prepared in
> advance and reheated on a coleman stove or fire or one that can cooked
> entirely over the flames and doesn't require much in the way of
> utinsels to cook or eat.
>
> I had thought that roasting a whole pig would be nice, but I am
> finding it hard to get information on how to do so. (I also have no
> idea how to carve a pig!!).
>
> I am new to the entire feastocrat/mass cooking thing and I am sure
> that I am in over my head. Can some one PLEASE help??
>
> Lord Gavvin Quinn
> -------------
>
> There have been a number of discussions on this list about cooking
> over fires. I just recently put these together in this file in the
> FOOD section of my Florilegium files:
>
> cook-ovr-fire-msg (33K)  8/21/98    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor
feasts.

> While most of my files are available at this site:
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html
>
> This file has not been sent to the website yet but probably will be
> available in the next week. In the meantime, I can send you this file by
> email if you wish.
>
> I also have several messages on roasting a pig, but I have not made
> a file from them. If you wish, I can send you these. My impression
> though is that a pig would be an overly ambitious feast for a beginning
> headcook.
>
> For some ideas on how to handle being the headcook, you might want to
> look at this file in the FEASTS section:
>
> headcooks-msg     (40K) 11/ 7/97    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning
feasts.

> As to butchering, take a look at these files in the ANIMALS section:
>
> butchering-msg    (26K)  7/30/98    Overview of butchering livestock and
game.
> butch-goat-art    (16K)  7/14/98    "Butchering a Live Goat, for (and by)

>                                        Beginners" by Charles
McCathieNevile.