SC - Fried Chicken in Apicius???

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 07:20:35 PDT 1998

<<  Today, for the second time in the last week or so, I have heard a
 > reference made to a fried chicken recipe in Apicius. The trouble is, I
 > can't seem to find such a recipe in Apicius.
 >
 > Can anyone provide a name for the recipe, or maybe info indicating this
 > is somebody's loose secondary interpetation of a boiled or braised
 > chicken recipe from Apicius (there are several), or what? >>

That's alright, Adamantius, I had someone from my shire show up at a demo last
ngiht with several "medieval" recipes to hand out.  One was for something
called "Destiny Cake" which was described a a funnelcake sort of thing (I was
thinking, Oh, good, a funny name for cryspes) with raspberries and stuff in it
(oh, no!).  The other was for Dukke's Wings (pronounced duck, not duke) which
apparently were chicken wings fried in a sweet batter (with baking powder in
it...).  I asked about the source and it came from some "Medieval Holidays and
Festivals" book that she'd copied the library copy of.  I looked at the pages
and there is no attribution of the recipes at all, nor originals.  And there
was no point to asking her not to hand them out as she'd already fed the same
people these dishes at a previous demo there....Now mind you, if anyone can
relate either of these recipes to a medieval source I'd appreciate it, but
they struck me as very suspicious at best.
Fortunately I had also brought along a recipe to hand out - the Mushroom
Pasties redaction from Pleyn Delit, properly credited, with the original typed
out at the top.  So they got at least one good one.

Brangwayna Morgan