SC - 16th c. German Roux

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Mon Aug 31 05:08:00 PDT 1998

Cariadoc asked:
>At Pennsic, I acquired a copy of the recent translation of the cookbook of
>Sabrina Welserin, which is mid 16th c. German. Several recipes early in the
>book (5, 9, 11, ...) seem to be describing the modern technique. Does
>anyone know of an earlier example elsewhere?

I asked this question several months ago but received no replies from the
list - maybe someone will read it this time that didn't see it before.  In
each case Sabina Welser refers to "schens mell" (good flour), "ain weig ain
mell" (a little bit of flour), or "schen mell" (good flour) instead of
"Semmel mell" or bread crumbs which she cites in other sauces.

Valoise