SC - An OOP scone recipe

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Sun Aug 2 15:52:33 PDT 1998

Is there anyone not going to Pennsic?  Lets all cook out and imagine that we are there.  Anyone have their favourite recipe to share?

I'm new to this list and the recipes from this list have worked wonderfully.

One of my favourites is a scone recipe with fresh basil and thyme.  I don't know how period it is but its easy and fulfilling for a weekend breakfast.  Here it is.

1 3/4 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder (what would be a good period substitute?)
1 tbs. sugar (turbino sugar is best)
Mix these ingredients well.
Cut into the dry ingredients 1/4 cup cold butter
Take 5 or so larger basil leaves, slice into thin strips, then mix these gently with the dry ingredients.  Beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl with 1/2 cup heavy cream.  Make a
well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture.  Combine with a fork using a few quick strokes as possible.  Then turn out onto a floured board and pat dough into a
3/4 inch thick big rectangle.  Cut scones into triangular shapes (about 8)  Brush the tops of the triangles with cream, sprinkle some thyme leaves on the top and press into
the triangles.  Sometimes I use a little cracked black pepper as well onto the tops.  Bake the triangles in a preheated (450 °F) oven for about 15 minutes. Serve hot with
butter and jam......yummy

Henri and Antea
We like to use and we have spices for those not going to Pennsic
http://www.hypercon.com/naturalhome