SC - Galingale and grains of paradise...

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 20:38:39 PDT 1998

heilveil at students.uiuc.edu writes:

<<
 Sorry for not catching it earlier, but I am in central farmland, and
 having a hard time finding either spice.  Are there other names to look
 for?

 Bogdan

      If you are within reach of a good Asian or middle eastern grocery you
might find galingale. Grains of Paradise I lucked into *once* in a healthfood
store and have been hoarding my stash ever since. Mail order is easy, however!
Try Worldspice (www.worldspice.com ) or Francesco Sirene, Spicers
(http://www.silk.net/sirene/). The latter are SCA folks and do indeed have
lots of hard-to-find items. I just got in a catalog from Penzey's
(http://www.penzeys.com/) today, and they have galingale but not Grains. But
wonderful varieties of cinnamon.........................! ;-) And our fellow
list-members at Natural Treasures have a lovely site as well
(http://www.hypercon.com/naturalhome/). Anyone know of any other good sites
that I've missed?

         Ldy Diana, who wants a pound of everything in all the catalogs--and
somewher to store it!