SC - Re: Kids and Feasts

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Aug 6 07:35:23 PDT 1998

Hi list,

Looks like Lochac just does things differently! To concur with my
countrymates, I have never seen a feast in Lochac which catered separately
for kids, except perhaps having some of the feast food available in advance
if the feast is likely to start late (or is running late).

The kids here eat with their parents, from the dishes on the table. Some
parents bring supplementary food, but most seem happy to eat bread, meat,
fruit and so on (ie the same food groups wise cooks provide for the small
won't-eat-anything-weird contingent).

I've not heard anyone complain about this. I don't know if that means it is
just not a problem here; it is a problem for some parents but no-one has
said anything; or people have complained, but not to me!

I suspect a lot of it - as with so many of our mundane and SCA cultural
perspectives - is that the group norms help shape people's expectations and
that defines what is 'normal' and 'acceptable'. So kids eating feast food is
normal here.

Rowan