SC - So ya wanna Twinkie

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Aug 6 08:48:37 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/5/98 10:33:34 PM US Mountain Standard Time, Varju at aol.com
writes:

<<
 However, for many years I didn't know that canned fruits and vegetables came
 in anything but a glass jar, and had no idea that not everyone had tried
 chokecherry jelly/jam.  I also thought that cinnamon toast (cinnamon and
sugar
 on toast) and what great-gramma called "sugar bread" (sprinkling sugar on
 buttered bread) were real treats.

 Noemi
 who thinks its good she only has a cat and dog to influence, and luckily the
 cat is less finicky than the dog
 ================ >>

I remember sugar bread!  Wonderful!  Twinkies and the like were for rich kids
or Yankees.  My favorite jelly was crab-apple from the tree outside my front
door.  My favorite breakfast was Big Mama's cat-head biscuits, red-eye gravy
(made with doffee for color), fried ham, and fresh butter and buttermilk.

We lived in a small city (Columbus, Ga.) but we were "first generation" city
kids, so we still learned country eating and cooking habits.  One of the real
problems of my life is that if a veggie was cooked in my home, it HAD to be
"seasoned' with a lot of pork fat and salt.  I have been dieting in one way
and another since I was 12 years old, but un-"seasoned" vegetables just don't
taste 100% satisfactory to me.

I taught both my children to eat anything put in front of them, and the
biggest problems I ever had with them at feasts were with them wanting to load
their plates to a point I found embarrassing.

My girls are both grown, now.  But I have two cats whose dietary peculiarities
are heroic.  One will eat only the kind of dry food I raised her on, and fresh
COOKED fish.  The other is a 25 pound bruiser who wishes he could become a
vegetarian   His favorite food is watermelon.

Mordonna