SC - American Food

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 6 10:10:17 PDT 1998

Reminds me of one of the interesting side benefits of my marriage.  I
learned Deep South cooking, he learned New York delights.  Deep South
cooking is more than 'deep-fry that sucker'  and 'judo' is not what you
make bagels out of.

- -=-=-=-=-=-

Rowan:
> >If you are going to eat American, save your taste buds for fresh
> >blueberries, pure maple syrup, sourdough, strawberry shortcakes and
> >the like!

Christianna:
> Don't forget fresh corn-on-the-cob, key-lime pie, pecan pie, BBQ,
> Brunswick Stew, cole slaw, egg salad (egads, sounds like a picnic!)

> I also think that Jello's flavors are regional.  Do they have >Watermelon flavor up North?

We have Watermelon flavor Jell-O in Los Angeles, for what it's worth.
I'd rather eat a real watermelon.

Christianna again:
>         (who should be getting ready to leave for Pennsic, instead of
> reading email.  All this reminds me that I should go and buy some
> Coca-Cola before we leave.  Here in the Land of South Downs Dark Ale
> [Atlanta, Ga. is the world headquarters for Coke] a six-pack goes for .99
> (on sale days) to 1.99.  In PA, it can be 3.50 and up!)

HEY!  Somebody besides me uses the term?  I've been trying to push
'South Downs Ale' as the euphemism for the fizzy brown stuff for years.
'South Downs Light Ale' being Diet Coke [or Ale-Tavia, the unofficial
national drink of the Barony of Altavia, eh Renata? ;-) ]  Pour it in a
tankard and it looks enough like headless dark beer to pass, and it
won't get you into trouble at a dry site.  Of course, real period
potables are preferable and all that, but caffeine addiction is a
difficult thing.

Selene Colfox, Caid
Chief Cook'n'Bottle Washer