SC - scallops and allergies

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Fri Aug 7 12:32:25 PDT 1998

Hello again!

There's a recipe in Elisabeth Ayrton's The Cookery of England for
scallops as cooked by Elizabeth-commonly-known-as-Joan Cromwell, if
that's not too late period for you.  I think it was basically baked
scallops covered with breadcrumbs and dotted with butter.  FWIW, I
used this recipe at 12th Night for contrafacted scallops (saffron and
cheese-filled ravioli) in a fish course.

Also, Kiriel's comments about the allergy discussion reminded me that
I did not get to have my say when this debate happened (too far
behind).  I actually found it rather distressing that the very same
people who were saying how important it was to cater for allergies
(reasonable, IMO, given warning) went on to say that they _insisted_
on antiseptic soaps, bleaches, the works being used every half hour
or whatever in their kitchen.  This is where my problem comes in.
I'm not allergic to any period foods, but you put me (or half my
family) near detergent, perfume, bleach, creosote, rubber, or that
kind of thing and watch us react.  It's the main reason I make my own
soap - I don't react to scent-free soap, but can't afford the bought
stuff.  My sister has been brewing regularly for the past 15-20
years, and I have for the past 5 or so, and neither of us uses sodium
metabisulphite, campden tablets or anything like that (not since the
first time, anyway!).  We do boil everything thoroughly, or put it in
the oven if that's more appropriate, and I have not known either of
us to have a failure (even with cheese and beer working side-by-side
on the bench) with due care.  So I'm sorry if I can't work in your
kitchens if I have to abide by your rules, but there's no way you're
bringing that @#%* stuff into my kitchen either.

Cairistiona

Dr. Ian van Tets
Dept. of Zoology
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701 RSA

ph: +27 +21 650 3641 (w), 650 3301 (fax), 47 5324 (H)