SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #864

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 7 07:42:55 PDT 1998

Jen Lyons wrote:

> (lost original attribution):
> > > I've also heard that you can't get Smarties in the States! Can this be
> > > true?!?!?!?
>
> I assume that we're not talking about the little round sugar candies that
> are kind of tart and come in a cellophane wrap.  They're called Smarties
> and they're gross... like what you get for Halloween from people who are
> too cheap to buy chocolate!

No, the British Smarties (or is it Smartees?) are more like flatter, plain
M&M's. I can't imagine why anyone who has access to M&M's would feel homesick
or otherwise nostalgic for Smarties to the extent that they would crave them,
except as some kind of social affectation. The reverse, of course, may also be
true.

As it happens I believe I can buy Smarties in any of several local stores (I
live in an area with a lot of Irish immigrants and most of the grocery stores
sell a pretty complete line of imported products. For cholesterol-based life
forms the ability to go into any diner and order a fry for breakfast is beyond
pearls.)

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com