SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #863

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sun Aug 9 22:37:54 PDT 1998

Bonne wrote:

> Berengaria wrote:
>
> > Well, I think it depends on the child and parent in question...my
> > mother was overly fretful about my being "underweight" as a child.

My daughter was clinically underweight for almost a year.  My doctor's advice was
to give her a healthy snack everytime she asked for a drink or food (except meal
time of course).  My aunt was frantically telling me to give her junk and sugary
stuff to pack on the pounds, but I was adament that you don't grow bones and
muscle on cake.

> Your mom, like so many others, turned it into a "control" situation.  Little
> kids don't have much power in their lives, and some learn pretty quickly that
> food intake is one of the few things they can control.

Here, here!  Yes, it is so true.  The potty and food are the two things children
can control.  I've set the rules on food, she decides whether to eat or not.  She
set the rules on potty!  I keep her in pullups and she stays dry.  I put her in
cloth, she wets.  You can't fight it, and why try?  You pick your battles and
decide what is necessary for health, sanitation, order and sanity.  All the rest
is really unnecessary.

> > Interestingly, I've noted parents who fret about their children's
> > "pickiness"--and then at family dinners, watched those same
> > adults refuse to eat something under done, overdone, too spicy,
> > with crusts on it.  Mixed signals, anyone?

I personally have a touchy stomach lining, so I avoid the spicy foods that my
husband eats.  When I make him Kung Poa, I cook Stir Fry for myself.  The
children are welcome to partake of either/both.  Usually, my son goes with mine
and my daughter goes with my husband's.  I feel as long as they know people have
different tastes, they will be able to respect that and ultimately make their own
choices.

> Saturday, I had the umpteen thousandth lecture from my dad on why I should
> enjoy my steack much more rarely done than I do, followed by his ridiculous
> refusal to cook it any longer than the others.  I had to go out and stand by
> the fire another minute myself.  We've been doing this since I was 13 and
> first insisted that I wanted a little less red--just pink would do. At that
> time he got really angry at the suggestion that he just put mine on the grill
> a minute sooner, or be certain mine stayed in the middle (hotter) part of the
> grill, or they buy me a thinner steack.  I'm quite a bit older now.  Perhaps
> it's just one of those lame dad-type jokes to make me do this every time.
>
> Bonne

Not my place to tell you about your family, but your father sounds like my
biological mother.  She was a control freak.  I learned to cook when I was eight
because she (to my tastes) burned everything.  It had to be well-done beyond well
done for her and she refused to let anyone else eat theirs anyway else.  It drove
her nuts when I ordered a steak rare at an awards ceremony in high school.  She
wouldn't sit at the same table as me, and I got lectures for weeks about how I
was going to die of some nasty disease carried by cows.  Sorry, it's not a joke
to me.  It's a control thing.  He won't relinquish control of how you "should"
eat, so he makes it as uncomfortable for you as he can to get what you want to
eat.

Brenna