SC - Re:

Jane Waks waks at world.std.com
Mon Aug 24 07:09:28 PDT 1998

>At the Beast and Boar (the place with the Pennsic potatoes) they made roast
>leg of lamb.
>
>It had savory chrunchy bits (sometimes I just love a crunchy crust on my
>meat.  If you are confused, e-mail me, we'll talk.) and melt in your mouth
>meat.   I think it was only spiced with salt and pepper.  Anyway, I loved
>it!

I'm not sure... That is, I make roast leg of lamb and get nice
crunchy bits, and soft rich fatty bits too.  But I use lots and lots
of minced garlic -- just spoon it right out of the jar and paste
it all over the lamb.
I baste the lamb a couple of times as it's roasting, too.  This may
be the real secret, regardless of whether it's just salt & pepper,
or also garlic and/or rosemary for flavoring.
Another possibility may be that I put the lamb in a very hot
preheated oven, then turn it down once the meat is in.

(All these tips source: Rombauer & Becker, _Joy of Cooking_,
early 1980s ed.)

Caitlin Davies
Carolingia