SC - Safe food handling

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 13:59:56 PDT 1998

Everybody has brought up some good points on the safe food handling issue, and
I do feel that we should all understand the basic principles. I know at a
Cooking Collegium here in the Midrealm, at my very first event several years
ago, run by Alys Katherine, one of the classes was on food safety when cooking
for a cast of thousands- I had not wanted to listen to that class
particularly, but I did, and my eyes were opened to some special things which
can happen, like the people who got "a special deal" on chicken frozen in a
100+ lb mass, which the people then proceeded to let thaw in their bathtub for
three days.

I really think that this sort of thing SHOULD be addressed in Arts and
Sciences classes, but like me at the time, how are you gonna get people to go?
Particularly when there's a far more intriguing class on 11th century Indian
cooking, or perhaps on sugar subtleties running opposite it? Sanitation brings
to mind those health classes in school, which nobody wanted to go to (wash
behind your ears, practice safe sex, and don't put the meat above the
vegetables in the fridge).

I now know what safe food practices are, I know the importance of extreme
cleanliness in the kitchen, but your average home cook may not, and may well
think that practices which have caused his or her family no problem are good
in a commercial setting. I certainly don't advocate either government or the
BOD legislating this sort of thing- USGOV has its nose in too much of our
business as it is- but I could very well see us as Cooks and you and your
fellow Laurels, Adamantius, encouraging everyone interested in cooking a feast
to learn at least the basics.

Thoughts?

Phlip