SC - Feast profits?

JEANNE STAPLETON jstaplet at du.edu
Mon Aug 24 15:54:43 PDT 1998

> Ras asked...
> >Is it a usual practice to price a feast to make a profit? :-0
>
> NOT IN SKRAEL IT ISN'T. The idea of profit from feast is just a weird
> concept. Isn't making a profit also against the "not for profit" status we
> enjoy in the sca? I'm not too sure about this but I think so.
>
> Micaylah

If Aldyth's on line, she can probably address this more expertly than I...
"non-profit" or "not-for-profit" does NOT mean that we cannot make a
profit nor even that we should not try to make a profit on events.
What it means is that *we do not issue stock whose profits are paid
to stockholders*.

As for trying to make *egregious* profits on events, that is generally
smoothed out by supply and demand.  I'm all for shooting slightly above
"break even" in order to deal with emergencies; but also because a small
profit is necessary to offset other things like check-printing fees
and such things that a group incurs in its operation.

I was told to make a small profit on Caer Galen Midwinter.  I brought
my feast in at about $11 under budget--hardly a whopping profit--and
the site fees themselves generated a very modest profit.  We'd been
told to try to make a little profit for our group's account that had
dwindled; and we did.  It didn't make us rich, but we had enough to
put a deposit down on the next event without waiting for every single
check to clear from Midwinter reimbursements, which a group should be
able to do.

Berengaria