SC - recipe spreadsheet

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 25 03:19:06 PDT 1998

Micaylah wrote:

> One thing that I find with this type of software is when you go to increment
> up to, say 400 or so, the ingredients also increment. So a quarter tsp of
> salt, for example, may just end up being a few cups. I can't think of one
> incident where anything we cook could even remotely benefit from this
> amount.

The problem is that actual humans who cook switch back and forth in a way that
seems arbitrary, to anyone but another cook, between mass, volume, and liquid
volume measurements. This is especially true of the less experienced cooks,
who, for example, assume that if a cup of milk is eight ounces, and they need
eight ounces of flour, but have no scale, they can add a cup of flour.
BZZZZZZZZZZT!!!

Salt actually is about the same density as water, so the eight-ounces-per-cup
rule actually would apply (sugar being the other ingredient to which this
applies), but when you start switching from teaspoons to cups to ounces, all
kinds of fun stuff can occur.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com