SC - Sourdough starters

upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Aug 25 11:13:32 PDT 1998

     The following starters come from "The Garden Way Bread Book: A Baker's
     Almanac" by Ellen Foscue Johnson.  Garden Way Publishing. Charlotte, VT
     05445

     #1 Flourless Potato Starter

     3 medium potatoes          4 cups water
     1 tablespoon dry yeast     3 tablespoons sugar or honey

     Cook potatoes in water until soft.  Drain, saving the water.  Mash the
     potatoes, or puree in a blender  When the cooking water has cooled to
     lukewarm, put it in a large glass, plastic or crockery bowl.  Add the other
     ingredients, including the mashed potatoes.  Stir to mix.  Cover with a
     towel, and let it sit in a warm place, not over 90 degrees, for two days or
     longer.  When the mixture is frothy and smells sour, place in a covered
     container and store in the refrigerator.

     #2 - Potato Water Starter

     1 tablespoon dry yeast     2 teaspoons sugar
     2 cups warm water in which potatoes have been cooked
     2 additional cups water    2 cups unbleached white flour

     Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm potato water.  Put in a glass,
     plastic, or crockery bowl; cover with towel and let it sit in a warm place
     for 48 hours.  At the end of this time stir in 2 cups warm water and 2 cups
     flour.  Cover.  Let it stand overnight or longer, until the whole mixture
     is frothy and smells sour.  Make sure your bowl is large enough to all for
     expansion.  STore in a covered jar in the refrigerator.

     #3 - Milk Starter without Yeast

     3 cups milk, whole or skim         2 cups unbleached white flour.

     Let the milk stand in a glass, plastic or crockery bowl, covered,
     twenty-four hours.  Stir in the flour, cover and let stand for several days
     in a warm place.  When the mixture is bubbly and smells sour, store in a
     covered jar in the refrigerator.  For a little extra insurance (not for the
     purist), add one tablespoon sugar and on-half tablespoon dry yeast with the
     flour.

     #4 - Raw potato starter without yeast

     1 cup warm water                   1 teaspoon honey
     1 cup unbleached white flour       1 cup raw, peeled, grated potato
                                           (about one medium large potato)

     Combine all ingredients in a plastic, glass or crockery bowl.  Cover with
     towel and let sit in a warm place for several days, until foamy and soured.
      Don't get impatient; it may take three to seven days.  Store in a covered
     jar in the refrigerator.

     #5 - Honey starter with yeast

     1 tablespoon dry yeast             2 tablespoons honey
     2 cups warm water                  2 cups unbleached white flour

     Dissolve the yeast and honey in the water in a glass, plastic or crockery
     bowl.  Stir in the flour.  Cover with a towel and lst sit in a warm place
     for several days or until foamy and soured.  Store in a covered jar in the
     refrigerator.

     These sour dough starters tend to foam and expand as the wild yeast
     beasties do their thing.  I recall I have used the raw potato starter with
     good results, but when my Herman died, I went to the health food store ad
     purchased "sourdough starter in a packet."  Now, I guess I'll try to bring
     another Herman to life.  Hope these recipes help.  Leanna of Sparrowhaven
     (upsxdls at okstate.edu)