SC - Sinister Baron Sir Gunthar & his vigil collation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 25 14:14:54 PDT 1998

Me, too! Uh, I mean,

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> Now things like the food handler's licenses and feast profits are just
> hunky-dory and should be pursued. But please let's keep courtesy in
> mind. So far, even though there have been some passionate responses things
> haven't been hurtful. Although that last post from the Calontir list did
> perk up my ears. By stating an idea as "bright" (note quotes) could be
> construed as a hurtful statement. I admire Tibor a great deal and his
> knowledge of subjects and opinions sometimes amaze me and I'm sure this
> was not meant in a hurtful way. But it could easily be seen as a bit
> demeaning.

FWIW, I believe Tibor's e-mail software is set to indent quotes, with no other
indication he is quoting someone. I believe the "bright" usage was somebody
else. Tibor is usually pretty good about keeping his own opinions to himself
unless he really intends to reveal them. As for the possible harm done to any
members of SCA-Cooks by calling their ideas "bright", I myself am not too
worried. But yes, some of us are sensitive, and there's no reason why anyone
needs to be spoken to or about in that way.

> Okay, we need nice cooking conversation so here's one.
>
> Evil List Administrator hat <off>
> Student of Period Cookery hat <on>
>
> I have been asked to cater a buffet for a friend's vigil in a few weeks.
> Since most of his ceremony (Laurel) will be as close to his personna as
> possible I would like to make the foods fit as well.
>
> He's Elizabethan English.
>
> So here is what I'm thinking of so far:
>
> Potted Venison
> Beef Pudding in Cabbage leaves
> Roasted hens with sauces
> Pear tart
> Plum tart
> Shropshire cakes
> assorted cheeses and fruits
> Cuskynoles (mainly because he and his lady helped me make so many
>             for my 12th Night Feast and then I never served them.)
> Breads
> Maybe homemade butter
>
> I may do a small mead or root beer but I'm not sure if I'll be that
> ambitious.

You might do a small mead, which is easier to do than root beer, and maybe a
barley-water orange juice drink for those disinclined to do alcohol for any
reason. The latter is non-fermented and can be done in a couple of hours or
less.

> What I'm looking to make are finger-type foods that people can nibble on
> without much fuss while waiting for their audience.

I gather the potted venison is a spreadable pate of sorts, to be used for
canapes? You might want to consider venison pasties that could be made large
and sliced, or perhaps even cooking the venison in some kind of sealed pot,
possibly with some gelatinous stock, which would approximate the contents of a
venison pasty that has cooled. Another possibility would be brawn, but in
either case you'd have meat and jellied "gravy" for eating on some type of
bread or pastry.If it were brawn, you could make a butt-kicking mustard... .
Another possibility would be little chewet meat pies, probably so called
because they are shaped like little round cabbages, and normally made quite
small, four inches or so across. I see also you have plenty of fruit dishes;
you might consider a vegetable pickle of some kind, even something along the
lines of a sweet cucumber pickle, for example.

I confess I'm drawing a blank on Shropshire cakes...would these be Shrewsbury
cakes, by any chance, or am I just becoming senile?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not criticizing anything you have there. Sounds great!

> Some other considerations: This vigil will be done on Saturday at a rather
> largish event. This site has NO facilities, maybe a couple of water
> spigots but nothing else. I'm the current Champion of this group and this
> is their 20th Anniversary so I will have some small duties that day and
> evening.

Nothing there that probably can't be pulled out of a cooler in a short time.

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com