SC - Weevils

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Aug 26 03:53:52 PDT 1998

> To prevent the weevils hatching in the flour in the first place, put the
> unopened packet in the deep freeze overnight. Then decant into well sealed
> glass or plastic storage jars. Works with flour, rice, etc surprisingly well!
>
> Rowan

Just a friendly warning to everyone.  A friend had an infestation of beasties in
her dry goods that we had professionally killed off.  The problem was, we thought
we were safe because most of her dry goods were in Tupperware (no offense to
anyone who deals in it).  The problem was, the beasties were laying their eggs in
the seals (I mean on the edge of the seals).  The eggs would hatch and the thread
creatures would somhow get through the "airtight seal" and into the goods.  We
lost 75% of her dry goods to the beasties and were at a complete loss.  What we
finally did was threw away anything with insect threads on the seal and had a
professional exterminate them out of the cabinets.  They were really bad.  They
ate through the airtight plastic bags in cereal boxes, got into Tupperware, ate
through ziplock bags, you name it.  Just a warning to be careful putting things
in plastic and thinking it's safe.  The glass jars worked well, though.

Brenna