SC - Please Help!!!

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Wed Aug 26 03:56:03 PDT 1998

Lord Gavvin Quinn wrote:

> I am in charge of a feast for approx. 160 people that will happen in
> December and I need some ideas.

Congratulations!  Welcome to the club of thoroughly insane people
<grin>.

> I am trying to come up with a period feast that can be prepared in
> advance and reheated on a coleman stove or fire or one that can cooked
> entirely over the flames and doesn't require much in the way of
> utinsels to cook or eat.

Some of the others can probably give you hints here.  Outdoor cooking
is really not my forte.

> I had thought that roasting a whole pig would be nice, but I am
> finding it hard to get information on how to do so. (I also have no
> idea how to carve a pig!!).

Roasting a pig is really not terribly hard (although without an
electric spit turner it could get tedious).  I did one at my first
attempt as head cook and it was an unqualified success (I, on the
other hand, was a basket case).  I managed to find a library book
with the details, but the gist of what I did was:
  - put pig on spit  (depending on the size of the pig, this can take
several helpers)
  - wrap pig in chicken wire  (so that as it cooks, it doesn't fall
apart)
  - cook pig, rotating constantly  (time will depend on size of pig)
  *  when the ears and tail, etc start to look cooked, wrap them in
tin foil or they will burn

For carving, my husband got me a large "platter" (ok, so it was a
hunk of wood) slightly bigger than the pig (it let us parade it
around the hall).  He stuck spikes in it (the wood) to keep the pig
from moving around while it was carved, but I don't think that's
necessary.  I managed to find someone who was confident they could
carve the beast and let him go to it (he did quite nicely).

> I am new to the entire feastocrat/mass cooking thing and I am sure
> that I am in over my head. Can some one PLEASE help??

You'll learn, you'll cope, we'll help.

Claricia Nyetgale