SC - HELP!!!!!

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Wed Aug 26 12:33:53 PDT 1998

> I believe the idea behind that is that children and the elderly are more
> susceptible
> to the effects of the food-borned illnesses that have been known to
> occasionally
> escape the canning process. A strong adult, in other words, is much more
> likely to
> survive an attack of botulism, for example, than a fifty-pound kid.
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________

Just a note, Botulism toxin is one of the most virulent poisons in the
world.  Ingesting just enough to coat the head of a pin will kill a large
and otherwise healthy man. So you can see how much would be needed to kill a
toddler!
I think that this is a perfectly reasonable precaution. Just because you
know how to can properly, does not mean that everyone does, and it is easier
to make a policy saying " No Home Canned foods" than it would be to get each
Home Canner licensed by the appropriate state's Health Agency, or get each
and every jar tested for food borne illnesses, which would otherwise be
required.

I had a friends mother proudly present me with a jar of jam she made a month
or so earlier, and was still sealed. It had, however noticeable growth on
the top. "Just scrape that part off", she said. " the rest will be yummy!".
I kid you not!
 -- Not to mention the "gooseberry Jam" she made, from a bush that had wild
unidentified vine berries growing ("tiny wild grapes, she said" I am not so
sure) intermingled with the gooseberries.

Brandu