SC - HELP!!!!!

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 27 07:43:34 PDT 1998

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/26/98 6:30:22 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> LrdRas at aol.com writes:
>
> <<
>   or so earlier, and was still sealed. It had, however noticeable growth on
>   the top. "Just scrape that part off", she said. " the rest will be yummy!".
>   I kid you not! >>
>
>  Surprisingly, she was right.  >>
>
> I agree.  It may even have just been the foam from canning.
>
> Mordonna

Or, possibly more likely, a non-pathogenic mold contamination. I assume the
lady wouldn't be so offhand if she had not had firsthand experience with
whether the gunk is harmless. In other words, she probably ate the part the
scraper missed and suffered no ill effects. Ticking off the harmful things it
could be, like botulism (most likely too acidic), and various molds which
probably don't do too well in the high sugar concentration, it's very unlikely
the stuff is harmful. If we were to avoid all molds as a rule, there wouldn't
be much left for us to eat, sans fruit, most bread more than a few hours old,
ham, salami, cheese, pickles, etc. Of course, if we're talking about molds in
concentration, that could be a problem, but most people know how sensitive
they may or may not be.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com