SC - Culinary Heaven

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Aug 30 06:51:46 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/30/98 1:15:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< Now please understand I'm not saying that other locations aren't good
places
 to live, but yes, I do rather like where I live, in spite of everything.

 Adamantius >>

I think that most of us on the list probably has access to several food stuffs
and culinary rarities unavailable to most of those living somewhere else.
Although your location sounds like the Summerland to me, I'm sure that where I
live has it's advantages also.

For instance, snapping turtle, rainbow and brook trout, carp, catfish, bass
(rock, small and large mouth), bluegills, sunfish and crappies, bullheads (one
of my favorite fishes when 4 to 6 inches long) are available to the fisherman.

Muskrat, venison, opossum, squirrels (red [Period- a pest imported from
Europe), gray {the BEST type} and crossbred), rabbit, groundhog and
rattlesnake are some of the game animals available to those that choose to do
hunting.  Included in the hunting list are geese, ducks, woodcock, pheasant,
pigeon and crow.

Amish butter (made in a period, manner-using sour milk and salt; NOT the
insipid 'yuck' they call "sweet creamery" butter at the supermarket) and
delectable local versions of headcheese, liver pudding, souse, sauerkraut,
chow-chow, corned beef, dumplings and the ORIGINAL version of succotash reveal
our German/English/Native heritage.

Plants like sassafras, birch, wild leeks, etc., are waiting to be picked, in
less than 10 minutes walking distance, by anyone.

As you can see, another culinary Summerland exists here in north central
Pennsylvania.. :-)

I'm sure each of us on the list has a wealth of local materials available.  I
think it would be interesting to hear what each of you thinks is special with
regard to the culinary resources unique to your specific location.

al-Sayyid Ras