SC - Crown feast

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 31 08:22:00 PDT 1998

> Also, we are hosting Crown Tourney in Oct. and I have someone who wants to
> do an edible castle for the head table.  I would LOVE to hear
> suggestions/comments on this.  I would appreciate any alternative ideas to
> present to this lady.  She really wants to make a special contribution
> food-wise to Their Majesties feast but she is new at this and I would like
> to give her more than one option to try before hand.
>
> I can't tell everyone how much I am enjoying this list.  Having so much
> knowledge in one place is fantastic:-) (but then, I DO live in deep East
> Texas)
>
> Thanks,
> Gwenyth

Hi,

If there is any assistance with recipes, menu-planning or whatever I would be
happy to assist. I've done a few large feasts in anything from a cow pasture
without even water to commercial kitchens.

As for the castle. Have you thought of making it from cakes? You can bake a
cake in coffee cans for the towers and make sheet cakes, slice them and stack
the slices for the walls. Make sugarcube crenallations and gingerbread or
cardboard turrets. You can fill the cake with candies, flowers or make a
donjon from more cake.

You could also try hard salt pastry. It is inedible but you could build walls
and towers and then fill the towers with a course and place something in the
center. I did this once and fille the towers with fettuccini in one, rice in
another and eggs in another. The center had rice topped with beef stew and
covered with an edible pastry looking like the center house.

Just a couple of suggestions you could try.

Yers,

Gunthar