SC - artichokes?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Aug 31 11:18:44 PDT 1998

At 12:32 AM -0500 8/31/98, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>Allison commented:
>>If anybody gets the Lifetime Supply of artichoke hearts, immediately move
>>them into small zip lock bags and freeze.
>
>Are there medieval recipes using artichokes? Artichoke hearts? Are there any
>European recipes with these?

There seems some disagreement as to when the artichoke came into
existence--I discuss the question in the Miscellany article on what foods
are appropriate for period feasts. My own opinion is that the artichoke was
bred out of the Cardoon sometime during our period.

There are two recipes in the Andalusian cookbook which Charles Perry (the
translator) thinks refer to cardoons, but might conceivably be intended for
artichokes. They are:

Preparing a Dish With Cardoon

Take meat and cut it up, wash and put in the pot and pour over enough water
to cover. Put in the pot one spoon of oil, two of murri and one of
clarified butter, and soaked garbanzos, chopped onion and coriander seed.
Peel the cardoons, boil and cut up and throw pepper in the pot with them,
and when they are cooked, take two eggs and bread crumbs, cover the
contents of the pot well and leave over the coals until the grease comes
out, God willing.

Preparing a Dish of Cardoons with Meat

Take meat and cut it up, put in the pot with water, salt, two spoons of
murri, one of vinegar and another of oil, pepper, caraway and coriander
seed. Put on the fire, and when it is cooked, wash the cardoons, boil, cut
up small and throw over the meat. Boil a little, and cover the contents of
the pot with two eggs and bread crumbs, and sprinkle pepper on it in the
platter, God willing.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/