SC - Pretending we're at Pennsic

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Sun Aug 2 20:29:38 PDT 1998

>Is there anyone not going to Pennsic?  Lets all cook out and imagine that
>we are there.  Anyone have their favourite recipe to share?

>Henri and Antea

I'm in for this.  If we are sitting out and pretending that we are there,
We'll need somethign warm.  Put a kettle over the fire and I'll stir up
some mutton stew.
I usually prepare this on cold winter days at tourneys.  We usually build a
fire to keep warm and to heat water over.  I cook this up in my big pot
hanging over the fire. ( I don't believe in much, but I do believe in being
warm and comfortable at tourneys)  You can use veal in this instead of the
mutton.

Veal or Mutton Stew
Curye on Inglysch

Take veel other[wise] motoun and smite it to gobettes.  Seethe it in gode
broth; cast therto erbes yhewe gode won, and a quantite of oynouns mynced,
powdour fort and safroun, and alye it with ayren and verious: but let it
not seeth after.

900g boneless stewing lamb or mutton
2 cups chicken stock
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 Tbs chopped parsley
1 tsp each fresh rosemary, thyme and marjoram (use slightly less for dried
herbs)
1/4 tsp ground ginger, cumin and coriander
Salt to taste
1 cup white wine
2 eggs
2 Tbs lemon juice

Cut the meat into 5 cm cubes.  Put the stock into the pot and bring to a
boil.  Add the meat and bring back to the boil, skim if needed, then add
the onions, herbs, spices salt and wine.  Reduce the heat, cover the pan
and cook gently until the meat is cooked through and tender (1 - 1/2
hours).  Beat the eggs with the lemon juice until blended, then take the
pan off the heat and stir the egg mixture gradually into the stew to
thicken it slightly. Do NOT reboil after adding the eggs.

- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

		Confidence is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat,
		and taking the tartare sauce with you.

		- Zig Zigler