SC - courts running long

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Tue Aug 4 01:06:13 PDT 1998

Hmmm... interesting discussion!

I've sat in several seats here - I've been the feast steward trying to get
the food out, I've been the autocrat trying to juggle the times and I've
been the Royalty trying to hold court.

As a cook, I want the food to hit the tables in top condition and with the
correct accompanying dishes - but I understand that courts can run overtime
despite everyone's best efforts (and Their word is Law), so maybe by
juggling the order of presentation...

As an autocrat, I want everything to run to my timetable - but I understand
that the food may be taking longer/shorter to cook than expected and court
STILL hasn't started, so maybe if I talk with TRH we do a quick reschedule...

As Royalty, I want Court to happen just as soon as We have sorted out the
order for the Herald, brought in the Great Sword and found the person who's
peerage ceremony this is anyway... - and We understand that the cooks can
only hold the meal for so long and people are getting restless and hungry,
so maybe We could make some of Our presentations during the feast itself,
reducing court time...

In my experience, the best thing (as others have said) is continual
communication between these three parties. It's amazing how reasonable
people can be if you acknowledge both their position and the problem and
seek their help in solving it.

It is also amazing how often this just doesn't happen. I often end up doing
instant negotiations at feasts I am not running simply by noticing that
there is a delay and going up to the Royalty/Autocrat/Feast Steward and
saying "there seems to be a problem here, would you like me to speak with ...?".

On the timetable front, we often break up courts with food or entertainment,
because it is hard to sit through hours of court in a stretch. This is only
possible in big halls, so we hire big halls so we can feed 350 and still
have space for court! Here is a typical timetable from an investiture last
year, which I ran:

10 am	Hall opens, Helpers arrive
2.30 pm	Hall open to everyone- People set up
	Impromtu music and dance
	Call for business
4.00	Last Court of outgoing P&P
	Coronation court (basic version)
	Music
6.30	Herald announces Feast, Servers to kitchen - First course platters to
tables
	Masque - Signs of the Zodiac (music, poetry, dance)
	More music, Clear platters
7.30	First Court of incoming P&P
8.30	Dance set 1
9.00	Herald Announces 2nd course, Servers to kitchen, platters to tables
	Incidental Music
9.30	Dance set 2
10.00	Farce - Signs of the Zodiac
10.30	Dessert Buffet, Impromptu Dancing
12.00	Close event, Clean up Crew
2.00	Close Hall

I didn't actually sit down all night (although I did play music for 2 dance
sets and the masque) - most of the time was running between the Kitchen,
Royalty, the Dance master, Players etc. By juggling some food into different
courses and some business into different courts, we ran within 15 mins of
the timetable. It is possible!

Rowan