SC - beets & cabbage

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Aug 11 14:15:16 PDT 1998

Here is the Ukrainian Borsch I used at my Russian inn last winter (no, it
has no documentation to it, sorry :(

Pisnyi Borsch
2 lbs. beets
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1 turnip
2 celery ribs
2 medium onions
1 bay leaf
3-4 peppercorns
3 dried boletus or 1\2 chopped mushrooms
Liquid from mushrooms (optional)
1 teaspoon sour salt
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper or to taste
2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill

Soak boletus overnight. Cook in a little water until tender. Cool,
reserve liquid, and chop fine. Scrub beets and cut into quarters. Cover
with water and cook over low heat until tender, about 1 to 2 hours. Cool,
pour off and reserve liquid. Slip off peels. This may be done a day in
advance. Peel and cut up the other vegetables, Add bay leaf, peppercorns,
and mushrooms to vegetables, with enough water to cover and cook in a
large non-aluminum pot over low heat until tender. Strain beets liquid
into vegetables. Shred beets in a processor or on a medium frater, and
add.Simmer for ten minutes, and strain into a large pot. To keep broth
clear, do not press vegetables. Add sour salt , mushroom liquid, pepper
and salt. Bring to a gentle boil, then turn heat on low. Taste, the
flavor should be tart mellow, and full. For more tartness, add fresh
lemon juice or sour salt. Keeps well in refrigerator. Reheat gently; do
not overcook, or the color will turn brown.
To serve pour over 3-4 small potato dumpling (to which if you want the
recipe, I'll dig the book out of the public library) in soup plates, and
garnish with chopped dill.

The reason I didn't copy the dumpling recipe is that I was going to serve
it in cups so people could walk around without spilling any.

It may be more complicated than the other recipes you've gotten, but the
taste is unbelievably good!

Beatrix