Danelaw? was Re: SC - Re: Only place to suffer

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 15:32:05 PDT 1998

Danelaw:  Those northern shires of England where ex-raider Viking-types
settled down (York is the biggest example of this).  King Alfred couldn't make
'em go away, so he made a treaty with a guy named Guthrum.  You Danes govern
yourselves up there with your own laws, and we English will leave you alone.
A century later, England had a Danish king or three, and the Anglo-Saxons were
not happy.  Then along comes Billy the Bastard (another Norseman, BTW), and
Anglo-Saxon England becomes Norman England (y'know, 1066 and all that).

I tend to refer to governmental change via settlement in overwhelming numbers
in a bounded geographic area as a "Danelaw" situation.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother