SC - cucumbers in period

David Friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Aug 16 18:52:57 PDT 1998

>IIRC, there is a recipe in the Known World Handbook for vinegar marinated
>cucumbers that are served in sour cream. Its quite yummy. As well, I believe
>there are other recipes around. I have a question tho'. I do not experience
>this bitterness you are atributing to cukes? Coiuld they be of a different
>variety?
>
>Micaylah

Unless the recipe gives its source, it is not safe to assume that just
because it is in the Known World Handbook it is period. As best I recall
from reading the recipe article, a lot of them were ethnic recipes which
pretty clearly had not come from period sources.

Here is a period recipe (13th c. Andalusian) that uses cucumbers; it's in
the Miscellany.
- ---
A Muzawwara (Vegetarian Dish) Beneficial for Tertian Fevers and Acute Fevers
Andalusian p. A-52

Take boiled peeled lentils and wash in hot water several times; put in the
pot and add water without covering them; cook and then throw in pieces of
gourd, or the stems [ribs] of Swiss chard, or of lettuce and its tender
sprigs, or the flesh of cucumber or melon, and vinegar, coriander seed, a
little cumin, Chinese cinnamon, saffron and two ûqiyas of fresh oil;
balance with a little salt and cook. Taste, and if its flavor is pleasingly
balanced between sweet and sour, [good;] and if not, reinforce until it is
equalized, according to taste, and leave it to lose its heat until it is
cold and then serve.

2 c lentils 	1 1/2 t cinnamon	one of the following:	1 1/2 lb
gourd (see p. 121)
5 c water	6 threads saffron		1 lb chard or beet leaves
1/4 c cider vinegar	1/4 c oil		1 lb lettuce
3/4 t ground coriander	1 t salt		2 8" cucumbers
3/4 t cumin			melon (?)

Boil lentils about 40 minutes until they start to get mushy. Add spices and
vinegar and oil. Add one of the vegetables; leafy vegetables should be torn
up, gourd or cucumbers are cut into bite-sized pieces and cooked about
10-15 minutes before being added to lentils. Cook lettuce or chard version
for about 10 minutes, until leaves are soft. Cook gourd or cucumber version
about 20 minutes. Be careful not to burn during the final cooking.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/