SC - Feast profits?

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Mon Aug 24 19:53:37 PDT 1998

Micaylah wrote:

> Ras asked...
> >Is it a usual practice to price a feast to make a profit? :-0
>
> NOT IN SKRAEL IT ISN'T. The idea of profit from feast is just a weird
> concept. Isn't making a profit also against the "not for profit" status we
> enjoy in the sca? I'm not too sure about this but I think so.
>
> Micaylah

No, as both an accountant and an exchequer, I can tell you that it does not hurt
our nonprofit status to make a profit on feasts, fundraisers, events, sales of
items, or anything else.  What makes us special is that the money is plowed back
into two things: teaching and the enjoyment of the members.  Make a profit of
$1000, then throw a demo where you invite school children and teach them about
our period in history.  That's all that matters in the long run.
Brenna