SC - HELP!!!!!

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Aug 24 20:41:02 PDT 1998

There are a number of scary food and feast stories, and as a chirurgeon,
I ought to say that a food handler's certificate would be a good idea,
but I'm not going to say that.  If we do it, it should be strictly on our
own, not as an SCA thing, for the same reason we no longer require
chirurgeons at events.  The insurance company and the legal profession
take the stand that requiring something guarentees the quality,
availability of professionalism, etc. and makes us liable if there is a
problem.  And there will continue to be problems, with the best will in
the world.  Accidents happen.  We don't want the SCA to be liable and we
don't want to stop having feasts, or only go to restaurants to have them.

Furthermore, where does one go to get that?  I don't know.  I live in a
big city now, so there is probably one available to me, but what about
all the small towns?  And not everyone can afford to take a class,
whatever the cost.  If only one person took the class, would that person
have to be in the kitchen every event?  What about their feeling of
responsibility if something slips past?

Tell us where to go to find these classes.  Some of us may decide, quite
on our own, to do it just to be better in the feast kitchen, but let's
not make it required.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com