SC - A question of concern...

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Aug 25 13:01:17 PDT 1998

Sincgiefu said...

>Hello!  I'd toss it a.s.a.p.  Others have replied regarding shelf life of
>properly stored items. (Note- any good cookbook should have a list of
>these.) And, as you have mentioned, the items were not properly stored &
>are therefore probably spoiled and/or musty-smelling.
>I prefer to shop for the event, & whatever herbs &  spices I need I usually
>donate out of my own cupboards.  These are a minimal expense.
>
>Suggestions for leftover ingredients and/or prepared food:
>- organize a get-together the weekend following your event & use up the
>leftovers;
>-divvy them up among the kitchen crew;
>-donate them to a food pantry.
>
>On a related note, given the resources, I'd make a feast kit for the shire
>consisting of serving utensils, bowls, ladles, pitchers, etc.(items that
>can be sterilized), & keep that in the basement.  The kit should also
>contain the tablecloths, but these should be stored separately in a dry
>closet.

I have on occasion also "donated" spices and herbs. Mostly the stranger ones
like cubebs, G0P and such, that aren't to be found readily. Since Dragons
Revenge isn't "officially" an event (long happy story involving Finvarr and
Bonfield) and I only charge $25. from Thursday to Mondy (all meals -
remember this is Cda folks). I tend to usually take a little loss on this.
Say maybe 25-30 dollars all told. Its no big deal and I just look at it as a
donation as well. I don't use our plastic wrap, cleaning supplies, THE BOX,
or anything else of replacement value in our inventory.

Our inventory is fairly complete. From 25 or so soup tureens right down to
linens.  Pots, pans, more damn ladles than  we'll ever need in 50
generations of sca folk, pitchers for at least 40 tables, an electric meat
slicer and knife, baskets and more. I think the whole inventory takes up
about 15-20 rough totes, although I could be wrong on this. We are very
blessed to have this legacy from past kitchen stewards and cooks who knew
when to speak up in meetings and say, "Hey we need this". Although I still
for the life of me can't figure out why we have 30 or so ladles?! :D

Left over food tends to go to the food kitchens in the area, or home with
whoever wants it. I snagged some lovely pickled eggs from Siglinde last
event (should really return her mason jar).

Thanks Cindy,

Micaylah

"It has to be a linguistics professor who said that it's mans ability to use
language that makes us the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But
I think there's one other thing that separates us from other animals. We
aren't afraid of the vacuum cleaner!"  :)