SC - Evil List Administrator time

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Aug 25 13:22:16 PDT 1998

Good Afternoon All,

I'm sorry I haven't come on here sooner but my work has become just a wee
bit hectic this week.

Okay a few points:

Please remember to keep the list clear of stuff that can be handled better
via private email. "Me toos" or requests for information are among these
items. If a list member gets enough "me too's" or requests then I think
it would be polite for them to post the information publicly. If you
have a "me too" in support of a topic it is fine to post the agreement
if you have a bit more to add. Otherwise please give the support to the
person...personally.

Also let's please try to get back to topic items as quickly as possible
when things go astray. The congratulations posts are wonderful for
occassions like births, A&S wins, awards and such. I do like to think
we are family here but let's please keep in mind the new folk who just
show up looking for cooking stuff and see a lot of in-jokes and personal
items. I'm not outlawing such things but when they begin to take up
most of the posts it's time to go private.

Now things like the food handler's licenses and feast profits are just
hunky-dory and should be pursued. But please let's keep courtesy in
mind. So far, even though there have been some passionate responses things
haven't been hurtful. Although that last post from the Calontir list did
perk up my ears. By stating an idea as "bright" (note quotes) could be
construed as a hurtful statement. I admire Tibor a great deal and his
knowledge of subjects and opinions sometimes amaze me and I'm sure this
was not meant in a hurtful way. But it could easily be seen as a bit
demeaning. All that was really said about the Food Handler's license was
that Ly. Alys would like to see people who did a lot of feast cooking
to have one (implied: for their own knowledge and the assurance of the
populace they cooked for). There was no mention of standards or new
regulations. Just one of those "this is an idea" type posts. No need for
posting something that sounds condesending. 'nuf said.

Okay, we need nice cooking conversation so here's one.

Evil List Administrator hat <off>
Student of Period Cookery hat <on>

I have been asked to cater a buffet for a friend's vigil in a few weeks.
Since most of his ceremony (Laurel) will be as close to his personna as
possible I would like to make the foods fit as well.

He's Elizabethan English.

So here is what I'm thinking of so far:

Potted Venison
Beef Pudding in Cabbage leaves
Roasted hens with sauces
Pear tart
Plum tart
Shropshire cakes
assorted cheeses and fruits
Cuskynoles (mainly because he and his lady helped me make so many
	    for my 12th Night Feast and then I never served them.)
Breads
Maybe homemade butter

I may do a small mead or root beer but I'm not sure if I'll be that
ambitious.

What I'm looking to make are finger-type foods that people can nibble on
without much fuss while waiting for their audience.

Some other considerations: This vigil will be done on Saturday at a rather
largish event. This site has NO facilities, maybe a couple of water
spigots but nothing else. I'm the current Champion of this group and this
is their 20th Anniversary so I will have some small duties that day and
evening.

(singing) I'm just a boy who can't say no...

Comments? Ideas?

Yers,

Gunthar
(Evil List Administrator)