SC - The big scary box situation

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Tue Aug 25 17:35:26 PDT 1998

>The big scarey box. Hmm you didn't specify what kind of stuff was
>lurking in said box.   If its open containers of flour sugar and stuff.
>Then  yes i would have a  few concerns. but some things like salt and
>spices i would consider to be ok.

>Zoe the spice trader of Valone

  In my Barony we do have something similar to the aforementioned 'scary
box'  However it seems that ours is a little better cared for.  We use it
to contain such stuff as dried herbs and spices, flours and other dried
stuff just like the  'scary box' but the foodstuffs inside are kept in
airtight containers and after a period of 6 months, the remaining stuff is
moved to the garbage bin and new items are brought to replace them.  The
'box' we keep all this stuff is actually a medium - largish wooden chest,
and alot of the cooks take it in turns to take care for the chest and keep
the key, usually for about a year.  We even have a title for it. Keeper of
the Condiments, which does make things rather interesting.  The purpose of
the box is usually to save a little bit of money in ingredients shopping
since as long as the box is maintained, the Shopper does not have to buy
all the herbs, spices and such unless the box does not contain the
particular condiment.  On the whole it's worked out rather well. The office
bearer has only one responsibility, to maintain the box and contents in a
usable state, and we find people are more attentive when it's actually an
official office instead of keeping it in 'the old basement' to go rancid,
mouldy and unfit for consumption.  After reading all the other comments on
the 'box' thing, I'm promted to ask if we are being a little over -
cautious?

Just my $0.05 AUS worth (I find that due to the current state of the
Australian Dollar, $0.02 AUS does in no way come equal to the $0.02 US so I
thoguht that I would add a little bit on so I wasn't short - changing
anyone =)

- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

		Confidence is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat,
		and taking the tartare sauce with you.
						-Zig Ziggler