SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #891

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Aug 31 19:21:28 PDT 1998

I would be thrilled to see this---just completed something like it myself,
for an EARLY celtic feast. We built a beehive oven for the bread, and had a
wonderful time with it. Fire-roasted salmon, lamb, pork and beef,
Adamantius' leek soup (sorry, the brain refuses to divulge the diabolical
celtic name---some of you will remember the dabate about a year ago.
Wait---Brochtan Folchep. That's it!). At any rate mine was done around the
time of Colum Chille (A/k/a Saint Columba, around 550-600. I had fun
finding some arhcaelogical evidence of stomach contents from Lindow Man
which were a type of rye-wheat-barley cake. That made for some neat
playtime in the kitchen! We had other stuff, too, but this is getting long.
If I put my oven-building pictures on the web, would anyone look at them? I
think I can do that from work.

Stephan's Florilegium is a great place for such articles, as well. A couple
of mine are there, and every now and then I get an e-mail from someone who
has pounced upon one of my articles like a miner panning for gold. It's
quite nice to meet such enthusiastic folks. They remind me of myself when I
was younger, thinner, and had less grey hair, more free time, and fewer
children. OK, so they remind me of someone I want to be. The point is they
get me excited about the subject all over again! Folks say if you want to
learn about a subject, teach it to someone else! It's true!

Aoife