SC - A question of concern...

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Aug 25 22:58:34 PDT 1998

Years ago, when I last lived in Debateable Lands, we had a box called the
'Barony Larder'.  My best friend kept it, and I knew where and how she
kept it, so I thought it was a great idea.  In those days, we did an
event every month.  When 25 lbs of rice from the Chinese grocer in the
Strip District cost the same as 5 lbs of rice somewhere else, we bought
the 25 lbs.  It was placed, IIRC, in a large glass jar with a screw top
lid.  Bulk stores hadn't been invented, then, and we thought it
profligate to buy new jars of herbs or spices for every feast, and have
the cook take home 7/8 of each jar.  A second box held the cleaning  and
paper supplies, and that one was in the basement, but it was a clean, dry
basement.  I don't know whether they still use it; they don't do feasts
as often.

 As I moved around the Known World, where feasts might be few and far
between, I used my own spices rather than hit the shire for the
cost--they were going way up in price, and I knew I wouldn't use all I
had before I had to move again.  I hit the Pepperer's Guild for a big bag
of goodies at Pennsic, and if I can, I'll share some with feast prep,
because I won't use the large amount of each before I want to replace
them.

Dating, watching, storing properly are the keys to safety in keeping
items like these.  With good discounts at Sam's Club, I can see buying a
case of cans or bottles, and storing some of them.  Cleaning products and
paper supplies are definately storable, and it is wasteful of
shire/barony money not to use them wisely.  Zip lock bags, placed in
dish-washer washed large margerine tubs, labeled, and kept in safe
storage should be quite OK for saving.

Incidentally, do you all know that Walmart's sells big boxes of non-latex
(some people are allergic to latex--don't get those) disposable gloves
quite cheaply?  They are in the band-aid section.  Great for handling raw
chicken, etc.  And wearing to clean a kitchen before using it.  A
zip-lock bag containing a dozen pairs of medium gloves costs almost
nothing and could well be kept in the supplies box.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com