SC - HELP!!!!!

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Aug 26 03:17:32 PDT 1998

> True. Oddly enough, one of the things I was taught in the course I took was
> that it is theoretically illegal to produce home- or site-produced pickles and
> preserves in New York City for commercial sale. Restaurants can make chutneys
> and marmalades, which it is fine to put on a plate of food, but they can't put
> it in a mason jar or a tin can. Regardless of what they actually are, the
> legalese assumption is that these foods, regardless of their sugar, salt,
> and/or vinegar content, are fresh and therefore to be refrigerated at all
> times. Of course you can open a can or jar of commercially prepared pickles
> with no problems. It just seems odd that people who have been prepared and
> qualified to deal with preservation and health issues should then be prohibited
> from doing so professionally, while just about anybody can get a job in a
> canning plant without ever really understanding how the process works.

Here in VA (and I would assume all over the USA as it is a USDA rule too), day care
and schools cannot serve home-canned goods to the children (even if you have been
trained to do it and the produce/meat you use are not home grown or home
butchered).  It seems ridiculous to me. Twenty minutes to an hour and a half in a
pressure canner and a good seal rarely allows the breading of anything!

Brenna