SC - HELP!!!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 26 07:23:42 PDT 1998

Brenna wrote:

> Here in VA (and I would assume all over the USA as it is a USDA rule too), day care
> and schools cannot serve home-canned goods to the children (even if you have been
> trained to do it and the produce/meat you use are not home grown or home
> butchered).  It seems ridiculous to me. Twenty minutes to an hour and a half in a
> pressure canner and a good seal rarely allows the breading of anything!
>
> Brenna

I believe the idea behind that is that children and the elderly are more susceptible
to the effects of the food-borned illnesses that have been known to occasionally
escape the canning process. A strong adult, in other words, is much more likely to
survive an attack of botulism, for example, than a fifty-pound kid.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com